The winners of the 2019 Digital Utility Awards have been revealed!
Six awards were presented in total – each celebrating a successful project or person involved in a utility’s digital transformation journey.
The winners are:
Best Customer Innovation Award – Jemena
Best Use of New Technology Award – SA Power Networks
Young Digital Leader of the Year Award – Adam Severino, Sydney Water
Utility Innovator of the Year Award – Andrew Forster-Knight, South East Water
Digital Utility of the Year Energy – SA Power Networks
Digital Utility of the Year Water – Sydney Water
To see photos of the winners with their awards, visit this page.
This year’s entries were judged by experts in digital transformation: Adam Lovell, Executive Director, Water Services Association of Australia; Andrew Dillon, CEO, Energy Networks Australia; and Cassandra Hogan, National Sector Leader – Power & Utilities, KPMG.
The Digital Utility Awards Gala Dinner was attended by senior leaders and experts from utilities around Australia. The awards and the Digital Utilities Conference aim to gather some of the best ideas when it comes to the digitisation of utilities, so that all of the industry can benefit from some of the impressive changes that are being made as we make this journey towards being truly digital utilities.
The winning entries were deemed the best in utility digitisation for 2019, and were among high quality finalists in each category.
The finalists were:
Best Customer Innovation:
- Endeavour Energy – for its interactive mapping portal providing information on network limitations
- Flux Federation – for its retail platform that was purpose built for energy companies
- Jemena – for its demand response program ‘Power Changers’
- Sydney Water – for the development and implementation of its Customer Hub
- TasNetworks – for its Voice of the Customer Program
- TracWater – for its Portable Robotic Water Quality Analyser
- Utilibill – for its cloud-based retail platform disrupting the utility billing space
Best Use of New Technology:
- GHD and Unitywater – for their sewer overflow prediction tool utilising machine learning
- Icon Water – for the modernising of its GIS system
- SA Power Networks – for its MyWorkday automated timesheet solution
- Synergy – for its use of Robotic Processing Automation and IQ Bot introduction
- Unitywater – for its Mobile Field Office solution
- Western Power – for its Field Mobility Services program
Digital Utility of the Year – Energy:
- SA Power Networks
- Western Power
- Digital Utility of the Year – Water
- Queensland Urban Utilities
- SA Water
- South East Water
- Sydney Water
Utility Innovator of the Year
- Queensland Urban Utilities – Karen Pollock
- Queensland Urban Utilities – Margarita Camus
- SA Water – Toby Evans
- South East Water – Andrew Forster-Knight
- TRILITY – James Ireland
Young Digital Leader of the Year:
- City West Water – Jack Cunnington
- Queensland Urban Utilities – Lucille Burkitt
- SA Water – Luke Dix
- Sydney Water – Adam Severino
Digital Utilities is Australia’s premier event for the utility sector, giving the industry the tools to use digital technologies to accelerate and transform their organisations.
In addition to the Digital Utility Awards, the two-day conference featured speakers from utilities around Australia as well as an international keynote, who highlighted what they are doing in their organisations to move towards digitalisation, including the successes and things to learn from.